Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Camping
We took a little camping trip during Daryl's time off last week. We went to the Columbia River Gorge area, specifically to Cascade Locks on the Oregon side. A few weeks previous we had gone down on a day trip and hiked Multnomah Falls (it was about 100 degrees that day, very fun!) and decided we would like to return and explore the area more. For camping, we usually like to stay at State Park campgrounds (only if they have showers!!) but this time we thought it might be fun for the kids if we stayed at a KOA. Daryl and I both have fond memories from our childhood of pools, game rooms, and other perks we enjoyed at KOA. It was really convenient, with the playground, bathrooms, and game room just on the other side of our campsite and the kids loved going in the pool after a long day of hiking. It was pretty small and very open which made us more comfortable letting the kids ride their bikes around unaccompanied. The kids loved the whole thing but as much as we liked the area and would love to go back again--it won't be to this campground. I mentioned that I loved staying at KOAs as a kid and I think this one hadn't been updated since then. Which in and of itself isn't really terrible but add in the fact that the train tracks are just outside the campground boundary--eek! Let's just say it was a really, really active line (all night long!) and the crossroads must have been very close (horns!!!) Holy cow!! It was an adventure...good thing we enjoyed the hiking so much! All in all, it was a fun trip!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sounds like you guys had a great time. The train just adds to the experience I think ;)
I'm glad you got to go on your annual camping trip this year. Sounds like a fun place with the bikes and pool and all. Hopefully, the train didn't wake Luke up all night.
Post a Comment